New partner chosen for Scott Towers redevelopment

863 Views

[ ABOVE: Rendering provided by McMillan Pazdan Smith ]

It’s been almost two years since the two 14-story Scott Towers buildings on Augusta Street were reduced to rubble in a matter of seconds. Since then, grass has sprouted on the empty property that once provided low-income seniors with housing for more than 40 years.

Plans for the property are still progressing, albeit slowly. Earlier this year, The Greenville Housing Authority, which owns the 6.3-acre property, put out a request for qualifications seeking a new partner to assist in the redevelopment of the site after negotiations with St. Louis development firm McCormack Baron Salazar fell through last year.

TGHA has now selected Atlanta-based Integral Group as its new development partner. TGHA received 11 responses to the RFQ. No local developers applied.

Once the two complete the master developer’s agreement (anticipated in the next two months), TGHA can then move forward once again with holding public meetings and charrettes, said TGHA Executive Director Ivory Matthews.

ScottTowers_ConceptualSitePlan

Matthews says she expects the public meetings to be held by the middle of next year at the latest and hopes to be “moving dirt in the next 12-18 months.” Funding for the $36 million project is still uncertain, however, as TGHA has less than 10 percent of the capital needed to build this project, she said. The remaining 90 percent will need to come from low-income tax credit programs, bond deals, or new market tax credits. Matthews said they are also asking for some financial commitment from the city.

Conceptual plans for the site call for new construction of 197 multifamily units consisting of studios, one-bedroom and two-bedroom units. The development would include a new parking deck, 3,000 square feet of commercial space on the corner of Augusta and Thruston streets and outdoor amenity space for residents.

Also included would be 142 one-bedroom senior garden apartments – 62 new construction and 80 existing units at the Garden Apartments located behind Scott Tower, which would be rehabilitated and modernized.

The entire development would have 339 units and be a mixed-use, mixed-income community with about 80 percent of the units at market rate and 20 percent affordable for lower-income seniors and families.

 

SHARE

Related Articles